FireEye Network Security Review

Enhanced our security by protecting us against zero-day malware

How has it helped my organization?

If we are receiving spam emails, or other types of malicious email coming from a particular email ID, then we are able to block them using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is the ability to block someone.

What needs improvement?

It would be a good idea if we could get an option to block based upon the content of an email, or the content of a file attachment. I would also like to be able to block an email based on the content of the subject line. Similarly, if I could block based on a specific hash value then it would be very good.

Between five and six years.

After the initial testing during deployment, I was very confident that FireEye would work without any issues.

Technical support is good. They respond well, and if we send them software that we think is suspicious then they analyze it in a sandbox and get back to us.

The initial setup and deployment for this solution are straightforward.

We took a week for the deployment to make sure that everything was working. Rather than using inline mode, we initially put FireEye into monitoring mode. That was not the full functionality, but we used it to monitor the alerts. Based on the response that we received from the customer, we were able to put it into inline mode and it started working.

When I compare this solution to its competitors in the market, I find that it is a little expensive. Even the hardware costs are expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This solution generally performs well. I have seen some emails it allowed, which should have been categorized as malicious, but apart from those, I haven't seen any other problems.

I would definitely recommend this product because I have seen many cases where other solutions were not able to catch malware, but FireEye raised a red flag. I have seen it work effectively in a production environment, and even catch zero-day malware when there is no signature present.

I would rate this solution seven and a half out of ten.