FireMon Review

Policy test and access path analysis tools in Security Manager enable me to find existing firewall policies quickly, troubleshoot, or to help choose the optimal path for proposed rules.

What is most valuable?

Policy test, access path analysis, and change reports.

Policy test and access path analysis tools in Security Manager enable me to find existing firewall policies quickly across the enterprise, troubleshoot, or to help choose the optimal path for proposed rules. Change reports on the device dashboard show us at a glance what was changed in a particular firewall config, by date, so we can easily troubleshoot problems with implementation.

How has it helped my organization?

It streamlined the firewall policy change management process by having all firewalls managed in one tool, and a workflow customized to our needs.

What needs improvement?

Policy Planner requirements section is good, but could use some improvement to allow flexibility to enter different types of requests (modifying an existing policy, object or service group, for example) in a structured task format that can be auto-verified.

4 years

No issues with stability.

No…we easily added a second data collector when needed.

Excellent.

Excellent--tech support engineers go above and beyond to answer questions and resolve issues.

We previously used separate database applications to route change requests for approval, and did not have a tool likeSecurity Managerwith visibility into all the firewall configs and activity.

Infrastructure was simple to set up, but custom workflow was complex, due to customer regulatory environment necessitating a lot of customization. FireMon Professional Services was able to accommodate, though.

In-house project management and equipment configuration; vendor install in the data centers; Firemon Professional Services for extensive custom workflow development.

Pricing model seems fair. Make sure to separate active versus inactive devices, and primary versus standby in HA pairs, as there is a significant cost savings for licensing; licenses on the applications are perpetual.

Customer evaluated other products, but chose FireMon due to its features and rating on Gartner.

What other advice do I have?

Review your current operational requirements and processes well, and determine what can change, internally, to take full advantage of the standard FireMon processes.

**Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My consulting company is a vendor neutral reseller of FireMon products and services, along with other vendor’s products, implementing what solutions are best for a particular customer.
More FireMon reviews from users
...who compared it with AlgoSec
Find out what your peers are saying about FireMon, Tufin, AlgoSec and others in Firewall Security Management. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.
3 Comments

author avatarit_user563757 (IT Security Consultant at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees)

Access Path analysis and Policy Test with real time configuration makes troubleshooting tasks much easier and helps in narrowing down the issue.

author avatarSecArch3081 (IT Security Consultant and Platform Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees)

Extremely valuable, being able to view all those detailed firewall configs in one place, and be able to see at a glance what was changed at a specific date.

author avatarit_user625641 (Customer Success Manager at FireMon)

Ken,
Thank you for taking a few moments to write a review of FireMon. I am glad to hear we have been able to streamline your firewall policy management. I would agree that our support engineers and professional services teams are great and help with the overall customer experience.