FireMon Review

It is possible to highlight differences between policy revisions.

What is most valuable?

• The possibility to highlight differences between policy revisions
  • FireMon Insight with FMSQL
  • Hidden reports
  • Rule usage/unused rules report
  • Object usage report

How has it helped my organization?

FMSQL allows us to quickly query our ruleset to check which trafic is allowed. That greatly helps us to fill in the compliance report.

What needs improvement?

• Support of checkpoint clusters: Rule usage is logged for each cluster member but not for the whole cluster. It may lead to wrong conclusions when you clean rules.
  • Comments with special characters (French accent) are not supported. So we can't use the report for uncommented rules.

I have used it for >5 years.

We first had FireMon 5 on Windows Platform. It was a pain in the ...

Now, with the FireMon appliances, you just have to connect your Check Point SmartCenters and ... enjoy!

I have not encountered any stability issues because we purchased Linux appliances.

We have quite a large Check Point environment (>60) with a lot of rules. Reports may be a bit slow but they are so valuable that they are worth the wait. Newer, beefier appliances may also be available from FireMon.

I don't have to deal with customer support, so I won't rate them.

With Windows, it was difficult to get support.

I only had to open once a ticket with the FireMon appliances; fast handling of the case.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup was quite simple.

I was not in charge of the implementation project. I think we installed the FireMon appliances on our own.

I'm not an accountant !!

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
author avatarTechnical Account Manager at a software R&D company with 201-500 employees

Thanks for your review and feedback. FireMon re-architected our Version 8 with scalability and better performance in mind, so faster reporting should be attainable. As you suspected, we do have newer, beefier appliances available. But the most significant performance and scalability impact comes from horizontal scaling and a more distributed architecture availability in Version 8.