FireMon Review

Assists us in our ability to review and validate firewall rule changes and implementations.

What is most valuable?

Although we have a very mature infrastructure, one of the thorns that come with that maturity is developing policies and processes to support that infrastructure.

This solution assists us in our ability to review and validate firewall rule changes and implementations across a wide audience of users.

How has it helped my organization?

Here are some of the ways change management has improved our organization:

• Ensures that proper change controls were enforced.
  • Engineers can check if a change was implemented properly.
  • Compliance can easily monitor the environment for potential PCI concerns.
  • We can heavily leverage the solution for firewall remediation.
  • We can pull policy reports from various technologies.
  • We can standardize those reports for analysis.
  • When we make changes in our environment, we can run usage reports to gauge impact before we make permanent changes to our rules.

What needs improvement?

With fifteen years as a security administrator, I have used few solutions that are as polished as Security Manager. That being said, every solution has room for improvement.

I would like to see the ability to export reports to .xls. This would help me for the following reasons:

• It would allow for greater data manipulation.
  • When I run a report, I have the option of saving or exporting that report as .html or .pdf. As someone who catalogs much of their work in .xls, it would be convenient if I were able to export a policy report to .xls.
  • This would allow me to manipulate the data better.
  • I would no longer need to copy and paste from the .html to .xls and clean up the information.

I used version 7 for several years. We have upgraded to version 8, and we have been using that version for the last three months.

There have been no stability issues so far.

There were absolutely no scalability issues.

Technical support has been amazing. I would give them a rating of 10/10, an A+, and I would buy from them again.

In this environment, there were no previous solutions.

I have used other solutions at previous jobs. However, this is a solution I would like to bring with me if I ever ended up elsewhere in the future.

The initial setup using VMs was rather straightforward. The use of VM images sped up the process greatly. Professional services added a great deal of value in optimizing the environment.

Much of this information is not applicable to me based on my relationship with the product.

That being said, the ROI for securing dedicated professional services (vendor support) is amazing. It is relatively inexpensive, very customizable, and is a great help when approaching projects with the solution.

What other advice do I have?

Consider investing in the policy planner. Further integration with a ticketing solution is on our roadmap. I certainly wish it was something we pulled the trigger on years ago.

1 Comment
author avatarCustomer Success Manager at FireMon

Daniel,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We certainly take pride in making sure our clients are satisfied with our product. I apologize for having to copy and paste your reports, I would be happy to bring this up to our team for future consideration.