FireMon Review

With the change control functionality, we can track firewall rule changes made outside of change windows.

What is most valuable?

Currently, the change management controls for monitoring the firewall configuration changes is the only feature that we really use, at this time.

How has it helped my organization?

With the change control functionality, if somebody was to go in and make a rule change on the firewall, it's configured to send a notification as soon as those changes have been made. If this happens outside of a change window, we can track those and go to that person/individual, and find out why they made the change without going through proper change control procedure.

What needs improvement?

We just updated to the latest version, so I haven't had a chance to play with the enhancements from what we were previously using. What I was looking for in the previous version was better capability of adding change control numbers manually for rule changes that don't allow me to put in a descriptor into the change on the actual device. That will automatically get pulled into FireMon for reporting purposes. Some features don't have a description field that I can populate, and so I need to go back into FireMon later and document those. Even though the field is available as an option in properties, there's no way for me to fill that because of the type of the category of the change. It may not be a security change. It could be just a documentation process that I'm not able to do. That was in a previous version. I haven't validated that in this latest version.

I've only been using it for about a year. My employeer has used it for two to three years.

The product itself has been solid, stable. I haven't had any issues with stability issues at all, now.

The scalability seems to only be limited based on licensing we have installed. It appears to be fairly robust. It does offer a very large variety of devices that it can monitor but it's only limited based on the licenses that we have installed. For example, when I started here over a year ago, the device was licensed just for Cisco ASA5520s, and now we're using it to also monitor 5545s, which is a different tier. Until we licensed it for that different tier, we weren't able to ingest the configurations or monitor those newer devices. It truly comes down just to licensing. So, making sure we have the proper licensing is key. From what I've seen, it can monitor many devices, from routers, switches, up to the firewalls, from across many vendors.

We have asked for help a couple times, mainly about minor questions. There were questions about how to use documentation better, and they helped with that, but most of the questions that we've had have been around upgrading the product. We needed to know what is in the next version.

Based on what I know, there were no previous products. My understanding was they brought this in because they did not have that capability, and so this was an enhancement to the organization overall. Previously, there wasn't any monitoring being done.

Initial setup was done prior to me being here.

What other advice do I have?

From what I've seen of the product, it's fairly robust. Making sure to know everything that you want monitored, to get the proper licensing upfront, is probably the biggest thing. If you're only strictly wanting to do firewalls, make sure you get the right licensing that will match your firewall capabilities. If you want to match a more cross-spectrum of your devices, get licensing to support that. The biggest key is making sure to get all the licensing you need for the devices you want upfront.

1 Comment
Customer Success Manager at a tech vendor with 201-500 employeesVendor

Technolo63ef,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of FireMon. I am glad to see you are finding overall satisfaction with the product.

21 March 17