FireMon Review

The most valuable features are the reporting for change control as well as rule utilization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the FireMon reporting for change control as well as rule utilization.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to do utilization and cleaning of our policies. For your firewall, you have a series of rules and stuff that identify traffic, sort of whether or not the rules within your firewall policy are actually being used; what part of the rule is being used; whether or not it's identifying issues. You've got 1000 rules and only 900 are actually being used. About 100 of them are not.

We're now getting hit counts within Check Point that give us that information, but sometimes a rule says that it has been hit a lot even though it's not all the services within that rule. So it allows us to edit, modify and clean in order to remove anything that's not used.

What needs improvement?

I would say the most recent release caused us a lot of trouble as we couldn't get it working for a while, so we weren't getting the reports that we wanted, but it has improved. It's just very, very different. The most recent release level was dramatically different.

Maybe better videos or whatever could be included as to how to work with the updated product.

I believe it's going on about five years, maybe as much as six.

When we transferred from one release to the next, the most recent upgrade, the integration with Check Point gateways was very poor and so it was for almost a year that the product was unusable to us.

I think the scalability seems fine, although not all of our gateways are licensed so that in itself also caused some issues, because the product had to be more tuned to the fact that our environment doesn't utilize FireMon for all of its gateways.

I would say technical support is about 8/10. Some issues just weren't handled quickly enough, I guess.

We previously used an earlier release of FireMon and they had good success with that. In the newest release, we had a lot of problems. Prior to that, we really didn't have a tool to do that type of analysis for us. Although the most recent releases from Check Point have given us better analytics within our environment, FireMon has provided us with a better view into our environment. We didn't have anything prior to that.

I haven't really been involved much with the licensing. It seems fairly straightforward. Regarding the training after setup, I find the videos maybe could be a little bit better in respect to how to work with your FireMon product to get the best out of it; so maybe some better training videos on how to work with the product.

I believe the only other option I looked at was Check Point's reporting option and it was quite costly.

What other advice do I have?

When using this product, you have to spend time understanding not only how it was installed but what information you can get from the product. The customization of reports, whether they can be automated or on demand. So just getting a better understanding of what you can get from the application is useful.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
author avatarTechnical Account Manager at a software R&D company with 201-500 employees

Thanks for your review and feedback. The changes in our products from Version 7 to Version 8 were significant and many customers asked for help making the transition. Not only did we move from a client-based to web-based user interface, we focused much of that UI on metric Dashboards with Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and drill-down capability to explore those KPIs. One of our responses to the demand for help transitioning to Version 8 was to add a free, online, instructor-led Post-Migration training course available to all customers following their migration. Hopefully, you have been able to avail yourself of that training. If not, you can get more information from our User Center - along with links to topic videos.