FireMon Review

We use it to run reports that show unused tools and unused objects. Removing the CSV export functionality seems to me to be like a step backwards.

What is most valuable?

The security policy manager: We run reports regularly for the customer to show unused tools and unused objects, and to clean up the firewall policy.

How has it helped my organization?

Our firewall policies - we work under the standard ITIL framework - and project managers are very good at adding rules to allow their projects to work. However, they're not so good at coming back when the project is finished or the solution has been terminated and cleaning up the rubbish. So, if we don't use this product, we end up with thousands and thousands and thousands of rules, most of which aren't used.

What needs improvement?

I basically came on board to do the upgrade, which I've done. So, in the old product, we were able to get things out of the CSV file format and that allows you to then manipulate it, but now it's PDF mainly. Beforehand, we were able to take it into CSV and manipulate it in Excel, but now we can't do that anymore. A revert back on this would be good.

Overall, the product seems pretty good, but the fact that we've taken the CSV out now, that seems to me to be like a step backwards. They should be adding functionality, not taking it away.

I only started using it literally about four months ago.

We haven't had any issues with stability yet. Well, we did during the upgrade, to be honest. So, when we did the upgrade, we had to get new versions written for us so that the upgrade worked. It didn't work just off the bat, but once we had that done, it worked fine.

We haven't had any issues with scalability as we're not using that many devices reporting to it, so we haven't had any problems with scalability at all.

I would rate technical support at around 7/10. I mean the reason for giving it a seven is the guy we spoke to over in Germany. He was quite good, but the problem was that it had to go back to the development team, which took a long time to get resolved.

So, basically what happened was, we raised a fault, we went through the upgrade with them and we were able to go to a particular version, as we were running a really old version; version six. We went to version seven but then stopped accessing the system. We then said to them, 'Well, how do we get to version eight?' The upgrade ping didn't seem to work. So they then had to go off and write us a new thing, but all that took months. Three months, four months and we were without access to that system for a long time.

I don't think we used anything beforehand.

I think there has been an evaluation, but I wasn't party to it.

What other advice do I have?

I don't know what advice I would give to others. We are having a lot of problems with the licensing, to be honest. So, there's an issue with the UK and US date format.

When we renew our licenses, I don't know whether it's through our distributor or whatever, but they keep changing the format. In the American date format, you put the month first, then the date, then the year. In the UK we put the day first, then the month, then the year, and they keep flipping the dates over so we lose about three or four months on the licensing every time. We have to go back to our salesperson to get that fixed.

Also, when we did the upgrade, for some reason, we had enough licenses to start with but after the upgrade, we didn't. So, we didn't add any new devices, and we've got a thing in with the salesperson to find out why; what's changed there.

1 Comment
author avatarTechnical Account Manager at FireMon

Thank you for taking the time to review our product. I am very glad to hear that Security Manager has helped you with your rule cleanup efforts! I do understand your frustration in migrating to version 8 of our software. It is a major leap in functionality and the upgrade process (especially all the way back from version 6) could be challenging at times.

Regarding CSV format in reporting, although it is less available in reports, CSV is one of the primary export formats for SIQL queries. If you can query it in SIQL in Security Manager, you can export it to a CSV. That said, there are certainly canned reports where this used to be an option and isn't anymore. If you haven't already done so, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager or Sales Engineer here at FireMon to get an RFE created. If you don't don't who your CSM or SE are, definitely open a Support ticket asking them to reach out to you.

At FireMon we take pride in our solution and the value that it brings to your environment. We look forward to continuing to work with you and your team in the future.