FireMon Review

The Security Manager is the most valuable feature. It's been pretty stable.

What is most valuable?

The Security Manager is the most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us eliminate rules that are not needed on the firewall and to consolidate them. It saves us a lot of time and makes my work easier.

What needs improvement?

Make writing the reports easier. There's a lot of canned reports and if you want to write a specific report that you're interested in looking at, it's rather hard because I'm not a programmer. I don't know all the programming languages needed to do that. I can look at what reports exist and try to take that and kind of change it to something that I want to see and it doesn't always work. It's not real easy to do.

I have been using FireMon for about six months.

It's been pretty stable.

I have not had any scalability problems at all.

We have called them and they've always been really helpful. They've resolved our issue in a timely manner. I would rate them a 4/5.

We didn't have any other solution. This is the first of its kind.

Setup was straightforward. The instructions were really simple. We put in the basic information and then they scheduled some time with us to go through the setup and walk us through each one of the screens, what they do, what to look for and things like that. They kind of gave a little bit of a training class or training session.

They set a round of what we wanted to see. They didn't just come in and say, "Here's how it works", because different companies are different. Different companies want to use it in different ways, so they found out what we wanted and helped us set the training up to look at things that we want to be able to use it for. That was nice.

We didn't evaluate any other products.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a good product. It's very stable. It's quick and it's easy to learn. It's easy to run reports. There are a lot of reports that you can run. That helps the management of your firewall.

2 Comments
Technical Account Manager at FireMonVendor

Thank you for taking the time to review our product. I am pleased to hear that you have had such a positive experience working with our Sales and Support teams! Developing custom reports to meet your needs can feel daunting sometimes, so if you haven't already done so, definitely reach out to your Customer Success Manager or Sales Engineer and they should be able to help. At FireMon we take pride in our solution and the value that it brings to your environment and look forward to continuing to work with you and your team in the future.

27 March 17
IT Security Consultant and Platform Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employeesConsultant

Be careful with the "clean-up" report recommendations. Firemon tends to recommend deleting the hidden or shadowed rules, but those are often the more restrictive (better) rules, shadowed by an overly permissive rule at the top. Consider removing the top rule, and keeping the more restrictive policies.

05 September 17