FireMon Review

Enables us to consolidate and have fewer, more meaningful rules

What is our primary use case?

We have a single server and we're a small group. We use FireMon to track all of our firewall rule changes.

The security section lets you see where your unused rules are and it lets us go in there, optimize it, and make the firewall more secure.

How has it helped my organization?

FireMon saves us a lot of time and it's nice because if you're adding a rule that's similar to another rule, it'll tell you so sometimes you can just edit the one and add another source or destination in there without creating a duplicate rule. It enables us to consolidate and have fewer, more meaningful rules. We're saving around 30% of our time.

What is most valuable?

I like the dashboard for the security section of it. It helps you identify the higher risk rules on your firewall so you can mitigate the ones that you were not aware of.

When it comes to real-time compliance management, we can use it to push out rules. We do that manually. But it's a great thing to be able to track and do everything because we were doing all that manually in the past and trying to go back and find something that we had done in the past the manual way was not working well.

FireMon decreased errors and misconfigurations that increased risk in our environment.

It also helped us to identify risks in our environment and helped to prioritize fixes. It does that through the security dashboard. It lists recommendations, zero-hit rules, and things that you just have out there that aren't being used.

It's been great for our security posture. Every hole we button-up is one less out there.

What needs improvement?

It comes as a Linux appliance on a server and we're not a Linux shop, we're more of a Windows shop. It would be great if they could automate or integrate the backups into it and other things through their GUI interface, just to make the management of Linux a little more transparent.

I have been using FireMon for two to three years.

The stability has been great. We have not had any problems whatsoever. It's very reliable and always available.

We're a small shop. We have everything on a single server, but I know you can put it across multiple servers for larger organizations. We're just not one of them.

There is one network engineer who uses it. But we have about a dozen people on there all together who are system admins that add rules.

We have our main site and a remote site, so it's two firewalls.

It's at 100% of the implementation.

Technical support has been very good. They always answer my questions. They'll stay on with you until they resolve the issue.

FireMon is a totally new implementation. We previously did everything manually.

We chose FireMon because it was recommended to us by the auditors and it was time to automate it as much as we could.

The initial setup was straightforward. We sat back and they installed it for the most part.

I don't remember anything bad about our FireMon consultant so I'm sure everything went smooth. We set up the servers, they set up a backup server and they had everything working when we got off the phone. They also had some additional training online for me, which I found helpful.

Our ROI is that it saves time and helps us improve security.

Other than the initial purchase, we just put in for the renewals every year and somebody else worries about budgeting and everything.

What other advice do I have?

We haven't been using it for compliance at this point. The auditors use a different application for compliance. So we've been running that to check with security compliance.

I would rate FireMon a ten out of ten.

More FireMon reviews from users
...who compared it with AlgoSec
Find out what your peers are saying about FireMon, Tufin, AlgoSec and others in Firewall Security Management. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.