FlexPod Review

We were thinly staffed, but with it, we can properly staff to be more hands-on with our system.

Valuable Features:

Unified management is valuable, and it has a smaller footprint than non-unified solutions.

Improvements to My Organization:

Leveraging the expertise of NetApp, and getting a lot of third-party support for it. We’ve been able to transition to a hands-on approach, which is good thing. We were thinly staffed, but now we can properly staff to be more hands-on with our system using FlexPod.

Room for Improvement:

Make sure there’s current centralized virtual desktops. I get caught in the upgrade matrix quite a bit, which is an indication that it hasn’t been tested. Need more currency in IMT.

Stability Issues:

It's solid, but it’s difficult to integrate newer hardware because it's kind of locked down. It can be disruptive sometimes, because it’s something that you don’t want to have to make a lot of changes to. It makes it difficult to consolidate when you're adding stuff on, and wanting to be consistent for software and hardware sets. 3240 limited to four SAN nodes in a cluster was problematic for us.

Scalability Issues:

It's scalable, but it takes someone to make the right decisions in terms of planning and sizing.

Initial Setup:

It was already in place when I got there. From the inside-out, it can be complex because its biggest problem is that if you stray from centralized virtual desktops, it can be difficult to work with.

Other Advice:

Must have a sense of how everything operationally will be going into FlexPod. Must plan scaling up and out. The problem I run into the most is unanticipated growth, so keep track of growth factors and do not overextend FlexPod. It is usually a performance vs. capacity issue.

Stay Connected with FlexPod