FlexPod Review

FlexClone allows you to create copies of volumes quickly, without using physical space

What is our primary use case?

In our facilities we use FlexPod to host business applications: bpm'online (our tool for the help desk), SugarCRM, Microsoft Exchange Server, Cisco CallManager, some applications related to telephony and collaboration, and for demonstrations of our solution.

How has it helped my organization?

On some occasions, when we have needed virtual machines to install new applications, the administrator has provided them in a matter of minutes. Similarly, we have created virtual desktops for environments of 50-100 users in minutes. Finally, the integration with VMware NSX has allowed us to recover from a failure of the main site in a matter of minutes.

What is most valuable?

• Centralized administration with Cisco UCS Director allows you to perform all administrative functions from a single interface, as well as automate tasks.
  • UCS Profiles enable recovering a physical server in less than 15 minutes.
  • FlexClone allows you to create copies of volumes in seconds, and without occupying physical space.

What needs improvement?

At the moment I do not find any functionality that could improve, other than perhaps the automation interface.

Three to five years.

What other advice do I have?

I consider this solution a 10 out of 10. It is a very complete solution and easy to administer.