Forcepoint CASB Review

Needs better backend code, requires stronger technical support, and the initial setup should be easier

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to protect data going out of cloud applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect for us is the fact that the product seamlessly integrates with the Forcepoint DLP.

The web and DLP are very stable.

What needs improvement?

There's lots of room for improvement with the product as a lot of the backend code hasn't been kept up with very well. They break it, and they don't fix it right. It's starting to shape up a little bit, as they went with new gateways that we're using. However, if I was to sell a CASB product brand new to somebody, I would sell them Netskope. I wouldn't sell them Forcepoint. That's just dealing with the backend; it still needs some time to mature.

Forcepoint got acquired this year by another company, so they're going through a lot. They've lost a bunch of people, and therefore, they're kind of going through some growing pains again.

The solution needs to be easier to install, and they need to clean up the backend, so stuff doesn't break. That's been the biggest problem.

I've dealt with the solution since it came out originally, which was about three or so years ago. We've used it since the very beginning.

In terms of stability, the Web and DLP are very stable. The email product is actually, stable, however, it's going to be sunsetted. They're trying to move everything to their cloud solution, which is Web and DNP and email in the cloud. That seems to be going better than it was about six months ago. They had some issues, however, it's starting to go in the right direction.

They've redone their cloud recently as well and since then, everything has been more stable.

It's very scalable. They use endpoints, so however many endpoints you have, they can handle. They redid their cloud about six months ago. It's been a lot more scalable as of late.

We are often in touch with technical support. The quality comes and goes, depending on how many people they keep at a time. Sometimes, the tech support will be pretty good for about a month, and then they'll lose some people. That means they have to go and retrain new employees which can make quality go down. It's not consistent.

I'm familiar with Netskope CASB, which was actually born as a CASB. From the ground up, it was created as a CASB product. It is much more mature, not only on the backend but in the GUI. It's easier to deal with and easier for an admin to create policies and lookup logs and such. Even the setup is easier. The administration is easier. The backend is more robust, as they have more POPs throughout the world, and they own their own POPs. They don't depend on AWS or Azure or Google.

The initial setup could be easier. It's not exactly straightforward. If you're one of the one installing it, you need to make sure you have enough support lines ready to go.

You don't need too many people for maintenance. If a company has CASB, and Web Security, and Email, they would typically want a person for each of them. That's not always the case. Usually, it's more like two people that would take care of three or four different solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner and reseller.

As we use the cloud deployment, we find that we are always on the latest version. They automatically keep it updated.

I'd rate the solution at a four out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Forcepoint, Netskope, McAfee and others in Cloud Access Security Brokers (CASB). Updated: September 2021.
536,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.