Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall Review

It comes with functionalities to simplify operations and management

What is our primary use case?

We give consultancy and propose technology based on the customer's design. We also do long-term deployments. Normally, our solutions are deployed on-premises. We have some key projects where almost everything is deployed on-premises. We also manage the solutions and infrastructures with firewalls, network devices, etc. We have a great experience with different technologies, and Forcepoint is one of them.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we like the most about Forcepoint is that we know the technology and have confidence in it.

We can have several functionalities to simplify operations and management. We can combine functionalities like log ownership to review the number of devices in the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

Its interface is complex when compared with a firewall like FortiGate. Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall needs a management console, whereas FortiGate doesn't need any console. When you have a few devices, a console is not really necessary. It's good to have a private console only when you have a lot of devices.

We began to work with Forcepoint when they got Stonesoft several years ago.

Our projects are not very demanding in terms of performance. Therefore, we don't have any special requirements for scalability. We have some customers for whom we manage this kind of technology, and the scalability or performance is achieved by deploying a greater data appliance.

I might have contacted them for some questions related to managing instances. We sometimes had problems with registering or activating licenses on the manufacturer portal. I haven't opened any ticket personally. My colleagues have contacted them for technical support, that is, for problems that go beyond the basics of the Forcepoint configuration, such as for replacing some faulty components. Their experience was good in general.

I'm not in the technical part right now, but based on what I have learned from my technical colleagues, the initial setup is not very difficult. When you have experience in setting up or working with these technologies, it's not difficult to set up a firewall.

We have certified people to manage this technology. We manage the infrastructure for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

We are managing a customer's infrastructure where we have two pairs of Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall working without any major problem.

I would recommend Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall based on your needs. It's very useful for us to mix several technologies on the same platform to increase its security level. We have experience with Check Point, FortiGate, Palo Alto, and StrongGate (which became McAfee and then Forcepoint). Many times, we combine two or three technologies into the same platform without any problem. However, we did have a horrible experience with Forcepoint in the past. Some of the project deployments were not very great, specifically for applications offering very specific services to users.

I would rate Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall an eight out of ten.

More Forcepoint Next Generation Firewall reviews from users