ForeScout CounterACT Review

We're able to defend against unauthorized access to the network, thus distinguishing between corporate users and guests. But, detection and control of dual-homed devices needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

This product provided a really good effect in terms of network access control. With the ForeScout NAC, distinguishing guests and corporate staff was easier.

This was very easy to achieve since the product integrates really well with Active Directory and the NMAP feature discovers all endpoints within the network.

How has it helped my organization?

With the use of the NAC solution from ForeScout, the company was able to defend against unauthorized access to the network, thereby thoroughly distinguishing who is a Corporate user and who is a Guest. Process for Guest Registration (if implemented properly) was also easy.

What needs improvement?

Detection and control of Dual-Homed devices needs to be improved, as the product sometimes gives false positives. Also, more custom policies should be made available.

I used this solution for 14 months.

There were issues of false positives whenever a new hotfix was installed even with the GA release. There was actually an issue where an upgrade to a new version of the hotfix plugin increased the CPU optimization and network bandwidth usage.

ForeScout is scalable since a management device is available to manage other CT boxes.

Technical support from ForeScout is pretty good, with escalations made promptly when needed.

No previous solution.

The initial setup was straightforward, as the steps were simple to understand. It only got complex when creating policies that are not simple.

I worked for a vendor team, and for any client ready to implement this product, I would recommend that the necessary requirements for deployment should be done before the team arrives to start implementation. This makes deployment less stressful.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a NAC solution which works without the use of agents, I would say ForeScout is the one to go for.

2 visitors found this review helpful