ForeScout CounterACT Review
It provides us with visibility into what's connected to our network, such as contractors, mobile devices, and whether they're a part of our corporate asset list or not.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

We use it to prevent malicious activities on our network that potentially infiltrate it. We've been able to take out over twenty percent of our threats connected into our environment that we just never had a means to stop from connecting up to our network.

We've discovered regular assets. Let's say you had a mobile device, you walked into our network, and you said "hey, I need to connect up to the network. I'm a contractor here for you all and I'm going to add in one device". You immediately now have access into our environment.

Room for Improvement

It needs easier integration to other partners that automate functions within the security phase. There's no difference because you're not going to be able to fill the places fast enough for all these security people. So how do you get it to be able to manage more with less people by automating some of the functions? So when, for instance, NetScout discovers something and installs a ticketing system instead of sending an alert to a person, it automatically opens a ticket with the appropriate levels and automates that stuff.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It has been stable. The benefit wasn't around stability, it was more around preventing instability. What we were fearful about is whether or not customers would get impacted by the restriction of them not being able to connect to the network.

For instance: you're an employee, your laptop was part of our asset, but your phone was not and your tablet was not. All of the sudden, now all three of those devices were all connected into environment. Well, I only want your laptop to be connected. Your mobile devices, I really don't care to because when you go, you surf wherever you want on your stuff. You could probably pull up malware and then plug it in as soon as you put in your credentials into our network. So we want to keep that one off and allow you to connect to the network but connect to the internet, but not to my infrastructure.

We haven't scaled it all the way up, but we started to pilot, grew it to a couple of floors, and then grew it to an entire building.

I've never had to use it.

My understanding is that it was complex simply because my mandate is to zero-in back to the user.

Other Solutions Considered

We did look at multiple partners and we ended up with ForeScout.

Other Advice

Definitely use it. It's a good protection tool.