FortiDDoS Review

Purpose-built ASIC mitigates DDoS attack at line-rate without affecting performance. It can be also deployed off-ramp if the user has the know how.

What is most valuable?

Purpose-built ASIC mitigates DDoS attack at line-rate without affecting performance. This has been proven by an independent testing lab and during our PoC.

I find this product the best on-premises (in-line) DDoS mitigation solution that suits my current and future requirements. It can be also deployed off-ramp if the user has the know how.

Layer 3, Layer 4, and Layer 7 DDoS attack mitigation including encrypted DDoS attack. All-in-one DDoS mitigation solution.

Minimal to zero false-positives. Differentiate DDoS attack traffic from non-DDoS attack traffic from the same source IP and blocks only DDoS attack traffic. This has been proven during our PoC.

Zero-day DDoS attack mitigation. Mitigates current and future DDoS attacks as it doesn't use signature.

How has it helped my organization?

If deployed properly, it doesn't require 24x7 NOC. Fully automated and with minimal to zero false-positives, it has a lower TCO compared to other solutions.

What needs improvement?

SPP Policy. Ability to configure multiple subnets in one SPP Policy.

Report configuration. Ability to select multiple SPP Policy and configure multiple schedules in one report.

I have been using this for three years, as of 2017.

Earlier versions of firmware had bugs that limit my options. They were fixed on subsequent version releases. For my requirements, stability started with version 4.2

I rate it 10 (best). Support has good product knowledge.

I didn't use different solutions. I made sure to choose the right solution through comprehensive evaluation of many DDoS mitigation solutions available. I worked with vendors in evaluating their products and my colleagues who are using them.

Although I didn't attend training and just saw the setup during a demo, when I set up the solution in production it was straightforward and it didn't even cause downtime.

The price is reasonable. IP Reputation is a separate subscription but this is optional.

I evaluated products from three vendors. I worked with vendors in evaluating their products along with my colleagues who are using them in production.

What other advice do I have?

Ask for a demo. Use the latest firmware version. Plan properly. Understand the features and settings before deployment.