Fortify Application Defender Review

Helped us to improve the code quality of our organization

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for static code analysis. We do static code analysis on our application project code and we use the solution to check the product quality.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helped us to improve the code quality of our organization.

What needs improvement?

The solution is quite expensive.

There could be little improvements made in the solution's performance, reporting, management, interface, dashboard, etc.

Their level of support could also be better.  They should be more qualified and quicker to respond, for example.

It would be beneficial if the dashboard integrated with JIRA.

I've been using the solution for a few months.

The solution is very stable. We find it pretty robust.

We used it for more than 70-80 products for doing standard code analysis and the scalability was pretty good. We didn't see any performance issues.

Technical support is pretty helpful.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. You need less than three people to maintain the solution after implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We've been using the private cloud deployment model.

If you need a huge impact, a business impact, then I think I would recommend HP Fortify. However, if a user is looking for a small scale application with less business impact, I would go with a free solution.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten. Aside from the cost, the application is pretty good.