Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Review

Great dashboard with customizable reporting and excellent logs

What is our primary use case?

The Primary case is to collect & monitor logs & events from all of our firewalls and appliances in one single interface with analysis

How has it helped my organization?

Our work has been more focused and efficient due to the automatic notifications and reports

What is most valuable?

You can monitor all appliances from a centralized location.

You have a front dashboard for all our operations and all the logs. If you need to search for anything you can just dig deep into the logs.

For example, if you are searching for an email to find out why it is blocked, you will be able to see the policy that blocked it, which logs were triggered, etc... It gives you all the information you need right there, from the dashboard.

The solution offers excellent customizable reports. In our case, we needed a monthly report of all internet consumption, and we were able to easily create this.

There are pre-defined templates. The logs cover any question or need that we populate within these templates. However, you can also build your own template.

There is great analytics that can be used in different departments. For example, our marketing department can go more into media patterns and not just into browsing patterns.

Everything is easily visible and can be tracked and studied.

SOC is very helpful. It shows which IPs are targeting your environments. It shows you the threat levels of all the threats you're facing - including the locations, which policy was triggered et cetera. It will even tell you if the system blocked the threat or not.

FortiAnaylzer is compatible with all of our web browsers.

There are customizable workflows that you can work with. You can automate certain tasks in FortiAnaylzer in the incidents and events sections.

What needs improvement?

It is a pretty big software package. It has a lot of features which maybe aren't that useful.

It's possible that they could add some advanced analytics and some proactive controls for logging analytics. That will help a lot.

The could be more automation and more artificial intelligence integrated into the solution.

It was a service model application originally. It needs to have some artificial intelligence in dealing with the analysis of the nodes, and not just showing the nodes. I'm one version behind the latest version, so I don't know if they added it yet, however, if they haven't it would be a good thing to put into their roadmap.

I've been using the solution for four years.

My solution is based on VM ova image which is predefined by Fortinet. I don't remember when was the last time I restarted the machine which shows no matter what is the size of logs collected the system doesn't crash.

The scalability is pretty good. It's only limited in the log size. You can buy five gigs or 10 gigs if you need to. It depends on how you're going to handle/store the logs.

That said, it is scalable since you are only billed with the size of logs you are using as per the packages and you don't need to modify the cpu/ram. I have it installed on a VM environment and it's connecting to data all over my sites that are both inside and outside Lebanon.

Technical support is perfect whether from the vendor or from the online support. I'm lucky to have a partner in Lebanon who is a preferred platinum partner with Fortinet. Whenever we open a case with them we always get a clear response. They are professional. We're quite satisfied with the level of support we are getting.

It is very straight forward, the only thing that you might do some customization in the report and the event management. Other than this everything is predefined and based on templates, so you are able to add your touch on the reports as well.

I have implemented it with a vendor who is the leader in our region working with Fortinet Solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We're Fortinet end-users.

I was on older versions and now I'm with a newer version. People have faced many issues after downloading the latest update so I tend to keep one update back from the newest one to avoid issues.

I'd advise other potential users that, first of all, if they have Fortinet products in their environment, they should consider FortiAnaylzer. If they don't have it, they shouldn't consider it. They need to have Fortinet appliances.

Secondly, it is a very easy configuration, so companies will not have any problems configuring the FortiAnaylzer. It doesn't require a lot of resources.

We're going to bring a dedicated server for our FortiAnaylzer due to the fact that it is a bit of a predefined virtual machine that we can download from Fortinet's side. If you don't want to go deep in the reports and logs, it can rely on the built-in reporting tools in your appliances.

If you happen to have three Fortinet solutions in your environment then you need to have a FortiAnaylzer as it helps a lot in troubleshooting. It helps a lot with predicting everything that you might see happening on a lot on your network. You will need to have FortiAnaylzer due to the fact that the reporting is not that advanced in the appliances.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it was more automated and added in some AI elements, I would rate it higher.

More Fortinet FortiAnalyzer reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Check Point Security Management
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiAnalyzer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,594 professionals have used our research since 2012.