Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Review

It supports SQL for logging and reporting

What is our primary use case?

It receives logs from the FortiGate 5000 Series (about 12 FortiGate blades), and it was configured for keep logs for about 1,050 days. The logs are divided by archive (raw logs) and analytics (logs indexed in a database).

The use case is primarily for getting graphical data to make quick decisions.

How has it helped my organization?

FAZ has improved the organization because it stores events in the past so we can correlate incidents using another monitor tools; the problem is that it can´t recognize logs from FortiController blades, not even specifying it as a syslog device so this is a big lack. Devices from another brand are compatible only as syslog devices if they support.

What is most valuable?

It supports SQL for logging and reporting. Log data is inserted into the SQL database for log view and report generation.

Another feature is the custom reports, where you can obtain a chart builder from a log view: traffic, event, or security log.

What needs improvement?

It is very important that FAZ can support FortiController as the architecture designed for the network. FortiController should be registered in FAZ at least for event logs.

No issues at all. It is a reliable product.

The problems come when you are using different OS versions between FortiGate and FortiAnalyzer.

No scalability issues. You should know how many logs per second or minute are generated in your network to avoid issues with scalability.

The technical support with Fortinet has risen considerably. Now, they respond in three to four hours instead of two days.

We did not use a previous solution.

The FAZ includes a wizard, which is very simple to follow during the initial setup.

We implemented it in-house. We have had some experience implementing FAZ.

I do not have this value yet.

The cost and pricing should be in accordance with the calculation of log storage capacity for a time period required for historical analysis.

We did not look at any other options, because Fortinet was elected for use by the end user.

What other advice do I have?

My only experience is with a very important customer, the most recognized in Latin America.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Grupo CEPRA, a channel for Fortinet sales.