Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Review

Useful reports assist with identifying and optimizing bandwidth usage

What is our primary use case?

This solution is mainly used for reporting. We collect data from the FortiGate and analyze it with this appliance.

We have a physical device that is deployed on-premises.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution has allowed us to identify which applications are consuming the most bandwidth. We can also see the times at which bandwidth is most utilized. This has allowed us to manage our bandwidth and blend better.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is reporting. We use this functionality every day, and obtain reports on things like how many people are using the VPN, which websites are being accessed, and whether hackers are trying to penetrate into our network.

What needs improvement?

Every time there is a firmware upgrade the interface changes, and you'll have to maneuver that interface to see how to use it.

When somebody is new to the system they find it difficult to perform certain operations, like backups, and to see where the reports are. A more user-friendly interface would be an improvement.

I would like to see support for analyzing the wireless site, without going through the controller. For example, I would like to see a report on the full data including the APs that were up or down, and whether something has been upgraded.

This is the first year that we are using this solution.

FortiAnalyzer is a good product that is stable. It is used on a daily basis.

My understanding from the literature is that you can connect up to two FortiGate devices, or firewalls. Right now I have two 900D firewalls connected in the same network.

We have approximately twenty-five hundred users, including students and staff. There are six people who manage this solution. At this time, the current solution is enough and we do not need to increase its usage.

Technical support for this solution is powerful and good.

We have a support contract and Fortinet handles the maintenance of this solution. If we face any problem we can just contact them and they will help. For example, last month we were not able to get a report from the FortiGate, and they managed to help us by formatting the disk on FortiAnalyzer. Now, we are able to get the report that we want.

We did not have another analyzer solution prior to this one.

I struggled a little bit with the initial setup because it was a new concept to me. I looked at some videos on YouTube, as well as the Fortinet website.

We had another company perform the actual deployment for us, but we had to provide input to guide them on how to set it up for us. They were very professional and very good.

We started with the 800C, then, later on, we moved to the 900D. The same company handled both deployments and they did a great job.

The deployment took less than a week. There was fine-tuning that had to be done on a regular basis until we got the reports that we wanted from it.

Our licensing fees are on a yearly basis. We have several products including Fortinet Wireless, FortiGate Firewalls, and FortiAnalyzer, which are bundled together and cost approximately $50,000 USD annually. We don't pay anything else in addition to the standard licensing fees.

A company implemented a POC for us, and after that, we found that this could be a good product for our purposes.

What other advice do I have?

FortiAnalyzer is a good product, and anybody who implements this solution will get good results from it. The support from Fortinet is awesome.