Fortinet FortiAuthenticator Review

On-premises deployment and excellent log details make this product valuable

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Fortinet FortiAuthenticator is, first of all, as a two-factor VPN for enhanced access security. We use this product to provide secure access for all of our employees.

Our other use cases have to do with using FortiAuthenticator for other security projects which includes things like access to some important web applications.

What is most valuable?

One of the things I find most valuable in FortiAuthenticator is the detail in the logs. The log features are very good and the detail makes it easier to control what happens in the environment.

Another valuable feature is that it is an on-premise solution. Because of some regulations, we can not use this particular type of product for security on cloud. We chose FortiAuthenticator because it is an on-premise solution.

What needs improvement?

There is nothing that really stands out as something that needs desperately to be added or improved. We are using Fortinet all the time, we know their GUIs, so we can manage well with FortiAuthenticator also.

The main problem now is not exactly with the product itself. We are using FortiAnalyzers. But when we use that product with FortiAuthenicators, we can not use SQL language to access data from the FortiAnalyzers database. When we use it with FortiGate, we can query the FortiAnalyzers database, but it is not possible to do it directly with the FortiAuthenicators. This integration should be better.

We have not really faced any problems with stability up until this point. The product has not given us any reason to question the stability.

We have not needed to use the Fortinet technical support up until now. I do not know about it firsthand. The product is very easy-to-use and someone can easily manage working with it, so we do not need any support. We do have the support contract, but we have not used it at all.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It is actually very easy.

I think FortiAuthenticator is more expensive than other products like Cisco Duo. It could be more competitively priced.

We want to use high-availability in our products, so we need to get a higher grade and more expensive license for that purpose.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Authenticator as about a seven-point-five. If it has to be seven or eight, I would choose eight.

I have not used many products in that category with our site, but we can do what we want and need to do with that product.

More Fortinet FortiAuthenticator reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Thales Authenticators
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiAuthenticator. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.