Fortinet FortiDB Review

You can audit your entire database in depth and review users activity on your critical databases both in real time and offline. The appliance has many performance issues.

What is most valuable?

• VA (Vulnerability)
  • DAM (DataBase Activity Monitoring)

How has it helped my organization?

When you implement FortiDB in your environment, you get the benefit of three important features: VA, Auditing and Alerting. You can audit your entire database in depth and review the users activity on your critical databases both in real time and offline. This helps you with both debugging and security.

What needs improvement?

• SIEM integration (all areas)
  • Log management performance
  • Warehousing

I have used Fortinet FortiDB for three years.

We had many issues with the performance and the appliance resource management.

We had many issues with the hardware limits in high EPS environments.

I rate technical support 3/5.

We did not have a previous solution. There are no other DAM solutions available like FDB.

We used the official partner to deploy the FDB in our environment. But I need to say from experience that if you want to implement it in-house, you will probably get stuck and it will get complex. But, once you have it implemented for the first time, you will find it simpler than you thought.

You can not start with the minimum requirements. You need to make a very specific and detailed capacity management plan. The appliance has many performance issues, so consider the hardware limits that can easily influence your device functionality. Never run DAM on mixed databases like Oracle and MS SQL Server using a single appliance.

There are no other options to evaluate.

What other advice do I have?

Take the capacity management very seriously.