Fortinet FortiDB Review

Allows quick and easy implementation of internal IT control frameworks for database activity monitoring, IT audit and regulatory compliance

What is our primary use case?

Database security and compliance. I use it to protect databases and applications from internal and external threats. My environment is MySQL and Postgres. I have an ERP running on MySQL and my other application on Postgres. I have several instances.

How has it helped my organization?

24 x 7 database activity monitoring captures all forms of database activity to detect erroneous or malicious activity. Database auditing records all database activity for complete and accurate audit trails, with independent storage for additional security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is database security. This solution provides file-level protection.

Automatic database discovery finds all databases on the network, including those across subnet and WAN boundaries.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the web filter to make it more user-friendly.

The cost needs to be reduced.

In the next release, I would like this solution to include some phishing detection, to detect phishing activity on the network.

I would like a way to keep users away from my domain controller. If somebody wants access to the internet, it would have to be authenticated from the main controller, or if the user wants access for internal use.

If the machine is not from the domain it is not granted access.

1 year

So far I take the solution as stable.

Highly scalable

So far so good, I  have no issues with customer support, when I have request they are resolved timeously.

No, this was the first solution that we tried

It was a little bit complex, as the team had to read and implement what they were reading.

It was through inhouse team which had no prio experience to implementing it.

The price of this solution could be reduced.

No, this was our first solution to evaluate ourselves, the other products we just read reviews from users.

What other advice do I have?

We do not have a relationship with Fortinet, we are just end-users.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.