Fortinet FortiDDoS Review

Stable, with good security but has very bad technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to protect some web pages and web services.

What is most valuable?

The solution already has security profiles and it can protect from DDoS attacks and other kinds of attacks. It's a good source of protection. It already has a web application firewall.

What needs improvement?

The web interface could be much better. It's not that great right now. When you do a change, it's not as seamless as it could be.

The initial setup is difficult.

Technical support is lacking. They aren't helping a lot of the time, and some support personal don't even understand their own product.

I've been using the solution for about six months or so. It hasn't been too long just yet.

For now, the device seems to be stable. There are no bugs and glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. However, I haven't tested it against a massive attack yet. That would be the real show of its strength, and that hasn't happened.

The solution can scale if you need it to. You can put the device in the cluster, and you can add more devices to the same cluster. That way you increase the disk qualitative and can add more devices.

We only have two people that work directly on the solution - myself and my co-worker. We do sometimes use an outside support company as well if we need to deal with customers.

Technical support isn't too good with Fortinet. They could be more responsive and helpful overall. If I call for a problem they take a long time to solve the issue or to answer. Even worse, sometimes they don't know the solution.

I've also worked with Cloudflare in the past and I find it, for example, much more user-friendly and easier to set up.

The initial setup is not exactly straightforward. We find it to be difficult. They should make it easier for new users to handle.

It took me two weeks to deploy the product due to the fact that I hadn't installed that kind of device before. I had to learn at the same time as I worked on the implementation process, which made things even harder. CloudFlare, for example, is easier to set up.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Fortinet partner.

I would advise those considering implementing the solution to get good documentation before installing it and to understand the product well. They can call support, however, they cannot state good support from Fortinet. I'd recommend they instead ask for help from Regional Account Managers from Fortinet, they can use their cell phone from there.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

5.2
More Fortinet FortiDDoS reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, NETSCOUT, Radware and others in Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.