Fortinet FortiGate Review

Good security, easy to install, and offers good performance

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its security features and performance. We enable features that assist with web filtering, application consoles, and IPS.

What is most valuable?

The performance of the solution is very good.

The product offers very good security.

It's pretty easy to install the solution.

What needs improvement?

The cloud management should improve. There are other manufacturers that have better management cloud solutions. Aruba, for example, is very good at this aspect. Fortinet could look to them as a model of how to do something interesting with management solutions.

Fortinet across the board needs to improve the LAN aspect of their products.

The solution lacks multi-language support.

They could offer access points to small companies and firewalls at those access points. Aruba, in that sense, is much better for smaller organizations as they provide this possibility.

We've been using the solution for a few years at this point.

The solution is quite stable. You don't have to deal with bugs or glitches. You don't have it freezing on you. It's reliable.

The solution is pretty scalable. It's flexible. It works with the organization and allows you to expand it as necessary.

In my company, we use FortiGate across several locations. The location with the most number of users has maybe 400 to 500 employees. That said, there is another FortiGate that manages the traffic that goes to the internet for all of the users across locations. We must have around 900 users.

We do plan to continue to use it going forward.

The solution does have different levels of support. If the problem is critical, you can escalate it quite well and even get telephone support.

That said, in terms of telephone support, they need to have support provided in the Spanish language. Right now, this is not the case.

While we concurrently use both Sophos and Fortinet, we're working towards just using Fortinet. I find that the performance of Fortinet is much better than Sophos.

The solution's initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. In my case, I have many years of expertise working with FortiGate and therefore it was not difficult. It's quite good and easy to manage.

How long it takes to deploy the solution, depends on what the customers ask you to do. More or less, however, it might take maybe one day to make the initial setup of the unit and the configuration that the customer requests. It may take another day or two to put it on service and check that everything is working properly, once again, based on the requirements of the customer.

What other advice do I have?

I work mostly with firewalls and network equipment including firewalls, switches, and routers. I don't just work with Fortinet. I also work with Sophos, Cisco, and Aruba.

We're using the latest version of the product currently.

Overall, I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

More Fortinet FortiGate reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
533,285 professionals have used our research since 2012.