Fortinet FortiGate Review

It works and does its job and has good stability and scalability

What is our primary use case?

We have some that are doing IPS, and we have some that are for AV. That's basically their main role. We are using one version below the current release.

What is most valuable?

I only deal with it from a security analyst's point of view. I don't really get into the features of the actual FortiGate. From the security point of view, it works, and it does its job.

What needs improvement?

If I had any criticism that I would give FortiGate, it would be that they need to stop changing their logging format. Every time we do a firmware upgrade, it is a massive issue on the SIM. Parsers have to be rebuilt. Even the FortiGate guys came in and said that they don't play well in the sandbox.

I have been using this solution for probably 20 years.

They are pretty stable. We never had any real issues with them.

Their scalability is pretty good. We have upgraded and changed them, and we have been running them for 20 years. They run for a long time. We are not replacing them every couple of years, and we have scaled up a lot. We have over 10,000 users behind it. We have three people for maintenance and deployment.

I never had to deal with technical support directly, but I've never heard the guys complain about it.

I never set them up.

What other advice do I have?

We are using FortiGate, but we are switching to Palo Alto. We are just moving over to the new next-gen and do an extra layer or higher layer filtering. Being a government organization, it was RFP, and basically, Palo Alto won the RFP. I wasn't part of the RFP review, so I can't tell which features pushed Palo Alto over the edge or not. For all I know, it could just be price.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate an eight out of ten. I would also rate Palo Alto the same.

More Fortinet FortiGate reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.