Fortinet FortiGate Review

It offers stability, scalability and plenty of security features. Enjoy fast and effective troubleshooting as everything is organized in a very understandable way.

What is most valuable?

• High Availability clustering
  • SNAT/DNAT
  • Policies section view
  • Virtual Domains
  • Logging and Reporting
  • IPS

How has it helped my organization?

It has made our daily operations easier, as well as adding security, and stability to them. Adding or removing security policies is simplified through its web interface, or CLI. Additionally, troubleshooting is fast and effective, as everything is organized in a very understandable way.

What needs improvement?

Its web interface needs to be more stable, and more functional, through the variety of browsers. Additionally a nice add-on would be a “diagnostic sniffer” capability in the web interface.

I've used it for six years.

With different browsers, the web interface crashes. On newer versions of Fortios the problem has been minimized.

Not at all, it is as stable as it should be.

I believe that it is a little complex adding new firewalls in an existing cluster.

8/10.

9/10.

We are using different firewall solutions, in parallel with the Fortigate ones.

It was straightforward. Taking control of the device for first time is easy, and the cookbook manual is very helpful.

A vendor team offered five day training but the implementation was in-house.

We evaluated other solutions, but I was not responsible for taking the final decision.

What other advice do I have?

Throughout the last six years we have been using Fortigate firewalls, and the experience we gained is only positive. These devices are easy to manage, operate and troubleshoot any issues that might rise. The use of virtual domains has added more security presence by only having one physical device, and it’s easy to create them. Also, by enabling other security features on the VDoms, the physical performance will not be affected.

More Fortinet FortiGate reviews from users