Fortinet FortiGate Review

It helps to come up with the requirements of proxy servers, but it does not have that much troubleshooting & network testing features.

What is most valuable?

The key features of this product are:

• Network security
  • UTM Features
  • Configuration and ease of deployment.
  • IP/User/Device Mac ID/Device Type based policy configuration
  • Traffic shaping
  • Load balancing
  • Ease of VPN configurations
  • Explicit proxy
  • Link segregation
  • Application signatures
  • Network object based HTTPS/SSL inspection etc.

How has it helped my organization?

In many organizations it helps to come up with the requirements of proxy servers, defining network traffic and the amount of bandwidth for any network object or specified user(s). It has also provided us with security compatibility with other network devices such as IP cameras, the video conferencing system, VOIP phones. It also logs & reports on individual users network activities.

What needs improvement?

The FortiGate series does not have that much troubleshooting & network testing features in its GUI, hence we’ll definitely be looking for some add-on features in near future.

I have been using this solution for the past year.

No issues yet.

No issues yet.

For massive logs & reports (over a month) we have to go for a separate logging & reporting device i.e. FortiAnalyzer/FortiCloud, as this is not available in Fortigate itself.

7/10.

8/10.

We started with FortiGate itself.

This product has a setup wizard (FortiExplorer) for the initial configuration, while the physical connectivity is done via a USB cable which is very easy to use.

We implemented the solution ourselves.

It is value for money product as we’ve purchased it with Fortinet's three-year warranty package.

We have evaluated Dell’s Sonicwall & Cyberoam.

What other advice do I have?

Analyze your needs first before implementing this product.