Fortinet FortiGate Review

I can delegate more simple and routine tasks to other administrators and I don’t have to be the “Firewall” guy all the time, but the graphical interface always has room for improvement.

Valuable Features

I enjoy the combination of an intuitive graphical interface and also a traditional shell command line environment for more advanced administration. The option to configure policies in a graphical environment is very easy to understand and also simple to teach someone else unfamiliar with the product.

Improvements to My Organization

It’s much easier to share administration tasks with more people. Due to the flexibility and ease of certain features, I can delegate more simple and routine tasks to other administrators and I don’t have to be the “Firewall” guy all the time.

Room for Improvement

I think the graphical interface always has room for improvement. I would like to see more attention put towards the logging functions as well.

Use of Solution

I worked with this solution daily for over 12 months.

I encountered several strange issues in v5.0 (and earlier) OS versions. Strange anomalies like random reloads, VPN instability and unexplained policy changes. However, all of these issues were resolved in v5.2.

I always had great experiences with Fortinet. I worked with them several times to resolve configuration issues and process RMA’s on failed equipment, which was rare.

I’ve personally used Cisco ASA and PIX architecture and after using Fortinet, I always prefer FortiGate products in terms of functionality and ease of use. I recommend these to clients looking for a firewall solution.

Usually always simple and straight forward. I can get a client up and running with most standard policies and inbound/outbound control in a single day and make adjustments as needed. I can usually preconfigure Fortinet products and send them out for install.

Implementation Team

I always implemented via in-house. I think the most important advice is to always test new configurations in the lab especially, when upgrading firmware.

ROI

From my experience, FortiGate products are affordable and worth the investment.

Other Advice

I think for almost any small to mid-size business this is a great solution. Fortigate should definitely be considered before choosing a more expensive and complicated product.