Fortinet FortiGate Review

Allows for firewall rules to be programmed and named in a way that makes it readable.

What is most valuable?

• Flexible enough to handle everything we could want
  • Configuration layout is easily understandable
  • Allows for firewall rules to be programmed and named in a way that makes it “readable”
  • VPN support and some anti-virus protection.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if backups could more easily migrate between different models.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

No scalability issues, but communications is severely limited in our case by design.

They were our first firewalls on site.

It does require someone knowledgeable in routing, firewall rules, and these firewalls in particular. Once it is set up, they are easy to modify and maintain.

It is difficult as an end-user to setup continuing license contracts. It is possible to do between emails and their website, but it is practically impossible to find a phone number to call anyone directly.

We considered SonicWall .

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent product and works extremely well. If it is set up in a logical way, it is very easy to understand and modify. It is highly recommended to have a service “expert” familiar with these to set it up initially with customer direction.

1 Comment
Hamza_FarhanReal User

The easy way to migrate from one model to another is taking the config file and modify it manually, say rename port WAN to port-1 ( sometimes you need to modify the syntax of commands when moving between different versions) and upload the config back. Another method is to divided the config file to multiple sections say interfaces , NAT policies , Firewall ACLS / objects / object groups , then modify every part as required and upload them one-by-one.

19 June 17