Fortinet FortiGate Review

Our security improved from being able to put in rules and close off unwanted traffic

What is our primary use case?

When we looking for a device, we wanted to control incoming and outgoing traffic into our network to protect our organization, like have a barrier before anyone could send something in or anyone could send something out. We also use this for our DHCP.

How has it helped my organization?

The greatest improvement was on security. If you put rules that will not allow certain traffic, it won't happen. You can close the traffic that you don't want in your network, because of malware and people fishing and spamming.

What is most valuable?

• DHCP functionality: The object tab where we manage our IP addresses and static. The DHCP monitors them.
  • FortiClient: You can easily connect when you are home, check out what you want to do, and connect to your network when you are not at work. You can switch on servers and you can check what is wrong.

What needs improvement?

It should come integrated or have its own type of network monitor tool in a module. There should just be one package, and you are good to go.

More than five years.

Stability is excellent. It is so stable that it is the best in the market. I would rate the stability as a 10 out of 10.

It has the capacity to change in size. It comes in different sizes. E.g., for a smaller organization, you buy smaller package, then for bigger entities, you buy the bigger one. If you have fewer users in a certain entity, they would get a package of 50 each. If it's a head office, then you'd get something like 201. So, it accommodates for all sizes.

Technical support has been great. We have used it before because sometimes you get issues that you can't handle, then you have to call it in, send emails, and they assist you.

We also work through our partners, which has been good.

We were previously using Netgear, which was smaller. It didn't have the advanced technology in terms of what we wanted it to do. It was an older version. We thought that if we were going to change the firewall, then we should make a good, future investment. Thus, our partners advised us that FortiGate was one of the best, so we invested in them.

The initial setup was not straightforward. You need some training and to learn some of these things through the experience of using it.

We were guided by our partner, so we worked on our devices with our partners. They were the ones who helped us and who have been working with us, even for upgrades, and it has not been straightforward.

We evaluated Cisco, Netgear, and Cyberoam.

What other advice do I have?

You don't need to reinvent the wheel, as FortiGate is the best solution.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• The ability of the brand
  • Best of breed
  • Reliability
  • After hours sales service, because we know technology comes with renewals, upgrades, and support. This is quite critical to our functionality and efficiency.
1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Robert SealsVendor

Need information on Fortinet IPS.

30 July 18