Fortinet FortiGate Review

Effective bandwidth management saves us money and keeps our customers happy

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to manage bandwidth for our customers. This is done by setting the appropriate firewall rules and policies.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution made it very easy to manage our bandwidth. It is important because we do not have to buy additional bandwidth from our ISPs. The rules and policies are set such that our users are happy, and we can maintain our current cost of bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features for us is that it is easy to configure. It is also very easy to manage. One of the things we were looking at was a product that is user friendly, and this helps us to generate and analyze the reports we need.

What needs improvement?

I recently saw the new updates that are coming, such as the ability to quarantine a user's machine. Once done, you have the ability to connect to it from the FortiManager Console and you can bring it back online, out of quarantine. This is all very good news.

One of the areas that I feel need improvement is on the DLP (Data Leak Prevention) side of things. Compared to some other products, the DLP is not at par for the moment.

Also, if in the next few years this solution can be made to support HE between models, it would be better.

I feel that improvements can be made on the security side. Sometimes the product does a good job, but sometimes not.

More than five years.

The scalability is good, although I see that some brands are now coming up with an important advancement. Currently, when you want to do HE (High-end), you have to have the same model or a similar model. Some competing solutions are now able to do HE between mixed models.

I hardly ever use their technical support, but when I do they are pretty good.

Previously we were using SonicWall, and we had no trouble after switching to FortiGate. One of the reasons that we switched is because we needed something that is easy to configure and manage.

One of the problems we had is that we could not get SonicWall to print out a comment. The documentation says that it should be able to, but it was not printing. The currently solution meets this requirement.

The initial setup is straightforward and it is easy to configure.

In terms of pricing, the cost of the product is important because we do not want to pay for something that is too expensive. At the same time, however, pricing is not as important as manageability and support. I would say that all things considered, the pricing is pretty good.

After switching from SonicWall, we did not evaluate options other than the current solution.

What other advice do I have?

We look for a couple of things when selecting a vendor or product. First, we look at the user interface and figure out whether it is easy to manage. We also consider the price because we do not want to overpay. That said, price is not our number one priority; user manageability is.

We have been using a pretty wide range of products. We have used models such as the Fortinet FortiGate-30E, 51E, 90D, and 200D. They are all pretty good at doing the job that they are configured for. Obviously, the firewall sizing has to be done right, but if the product sizing is done correctly then they will never go wrong.

I have not yet used the cloud access capability, but we do plan on testing it.

After we purchased FortiGate we grew by forty percent, and it was able to continue to perform as it had before.

Overall it is user-friendly, easy to configure, easy to manage, the support is pretty good, they are priced low, and they do the job that you require.

I would rate this solution nine out of ten.