Fortinet FortiGate Review

Enables us to bring security into compliance with our policies

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our company firewall. We use it for intrusion prevention and anti-virus.

How has it helped my organization?

The internet filtering feature has really benefited my organization because we have a lot of things that go on illegal sites like auto torrents sites and a lot of streaming and downloads. We've been able to minimize the impact of bandwidth by filtering out media sites. This solution has also benefited us by bringing security into compliance with our policies.

What is most valuable?

I really like the captive portal feature for our guest network. It has nice VLAN features in terms of separating our network. The anti-virus is also good.

What needs improvement?

Some of the filtering is not robust, you can escape it with a VPN. Some of the users bypass some of the filters. It catches some but it also misses some, that area could be improved. It's functioning reasonably but there's room for improvement in that area.

There is a feature that Palo Alto has called Traps. It helps to prevent attacks on the system. A feature similar to this would be worth adding.

It's very much stable.

It is very scalable. We have around 200 users.

The initial setup was not complex.

We have had experience with enterprise firewalls and notably, we had experience with Fortinet, so the deployment was done in-house. We require four people for deployment and maintenance.

Compared to Palo Alto, which we have used in the past, pricing and licensing are okay.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to learn the product. You have to get to know the product, don't just look at it from outside. Get to know the product, the ins and outs and see how you can actually use it for your scenario.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.