Fortinet FortiGate Review

Offers side-to-Side VPN Support for Secure Networking

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate 100E for a VPN. We also use the solution for word filtering. These are our primary business requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

We were not fully operational previously. Our project needs to link two sides through the internet. One of these was in Cairo and the other in another city.

In Egypt, to make this possible, we built connections for everything between the two sides through the internet using the VPN side-to-side with Fortinet.

We used FortiGate as the integrating solution between the two locations, i.e. the Fortinet 30E & 100E.

What is most valuable?

The main feature that Fortinet FortiGate has that is very useful for me, is that I can connect two sides of the network to each other with Fortinet.

I can make two VPNs run side-to-side. VPN is very simple and so easy with FortiGate.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet needs more memory to save the log files (like in the 101E, the old product). We need it to save the logs on the hardware and not in the cloud.

I know this feature is available in FortiCloud, but if we need to log locally, it is not available. Also, the log only records a little time and needs to be longer.

Fortinet FortiGate offers good stability. I have been using it for around two years.

FortiGate is a very scalable tool. They have an app to manage the access points, switches, and other solutions.

For our project, now we're over a hundred users at the headquarters. The other branch supports about 20 persons.

Fortinet tech support is very helpful. I have not faced any trouble with their technical support.

The other product I was previously using was ForgeRock but did not have the experience of integrating it with Fortinet FortiGate.

For the Fortinet installation, our initial setup was for word filtering. It was very easy and did not take a lot of time. The deployment took about three days.

FortiGate is very easy. The entire solution setup processes took about three days. I can make many of the rules for most users as we need it configured easily.

I am the integrator for Fortinet FortiGate solutions at our company.

The licensing price for the Fortinet products is approximately a thousand of dollars per year for the FortiGate 100E and $200 per year for the FortiGate 50E.

I don't use additional licensing, just the yearly subscription.

We did not evaluate any other options for this purchase.

What other advice do I have?

If anyone asks me for my experience with Fortinet solutions, I would recommend FortiGate, especially if they need to use it for security.

I would recommend the FortiGate series for integration with any hardware or software product. I am very satisfied with Fortinet. I would rate it a 9 out of 10 overall.