Fortinet FortiGate-VM Review

Web filtering and IPS functionality are key advantages

What is our primary use case?

We provide Fortinet services to our clients, sometimes on-prem and sometimes on cloud.
We are a system integrator which makes us a partner of Fortinet. I am an information technology solutions manager.

What is most valuable?

I like the web filtering and I like the IPS functionality.

What needs improvement?

Data reporting could be improved and also in terms of performance, some improvement should be made on VM, it should be more optimized. Scalability of the solution could also be improved.

For an additional feature, Fortinet should add more SD-WAN with caching as a special functionality. It should be integrated with Fortinet.

I've been using this solution for five years.

Stability is good enough. It's not that problematic for now.

Scalability is a problem because the solution is VM. As a VM, you cannot have much scalability.

The Fortinet technical support is generally good. There are times when we don't get an immediate response and it requires escalation but that's all.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment time depends on the case but can normally be done anytime from two hours to two days for it to be functional.

What other advice do I have?

FortiGate-VM would be for more like a cloud or on-premise SMB environment. And for anyone wanting to scale-up and get big performance, it should be used as a physical appliance.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

More Fortinet FortiGate-VM reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate-VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.