Fortinet FortiGate-VM Review

Stable and scalable; great web filtering

What is our primary use case?

We have many Fortinet use cases in Brazil. One particular use case could happen at a high school; they want a new firewall and high availability to their students to access the internet. They want a secure way to connect to the internet. We are proposing FortiGate 200TF.

What is most valuable?

One of the most important features is web filtering. They can block certain types of websites. This is good for in-school security. I believe this is the most important but all of the other filters are also very important, including the antivirus and antispam inspection.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, but as a firewall, it's the best product we have.

It's almost perfect. It's very stable. We don't have many hardware issues.

It is a scalable solution. For example, in one use case, we have 500 students using the solution. Two technicians are managing the solution, which one software person designed. On the customer end, they need a person overseeing the security.

Their tech support is very good. We always get good answers from Fortinet tech support.

We recommend that the FortiGate logs be analyzed using FortiAnalyzer, which is a Fortinet tool for generating reports. We also advise customers to implement user passwords for all students so they can track which student accessed which website, or which student has been on their email. It's a form of protection for the school. If the school has any issues, they can prove the origin of it.

More Fortinet FortiGate-VM reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate-VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.