Fortinet FortiGate-VM Review

Has a good support-base but needs better customization abilities

What is most valuable?

Their support is very good. Fortinet has a good support base here who has been working closely with us. Whenever there is an issue that needs to be addressed to our end clients, we have received very good support.

The product is quite user-friendly so we didn't have a lot of issues that needed to be addressed.

The pricing structure is also flexible.

What needs improvement?

Customization needs improvement. A lot of people have very unique requirements that they ask for at times. Everybody wants to get more out of the solutions so that they have more with less. I would like a little more customization, especially now that everything is becoming a lot more flexible with cloud-based deployments. A little more flexibility in terms of the offering that we can do or the bundling of products would help acquire markets much faster or much better.

I have been using FortiGate-VM for just under a year.

It is definitely stable. We have not had a lot of support calls so, so far it is good. We have been pushing our clients to see whether they need additional support.

We want to organize more training and have a lot more awareness-building seminars and workshops. That is something that I think we can or we would be wanting to look at moving ahead. We haven't been able to organize a lot of that yet, but that is something that I think can help in many aspects is awareness, to be able to draw in and attract local talent who would be able to help with support.

Our clients are mostly enterprise businesses.

We are a value-added reseller. The technical support primarily is coming from Fortinet because we are in the process of building up to provide the right service. Once we are comfortable then we will be again discussing with Fortinet that we are able to assume a greater role in providing the services locally or on-site from here.

We are still getting help from Fortinet for the deployment. We have been able to push this to two clients after we onboarded this. In the next couple of months, we believe that we will be able to take over the implementation and they can take a little more of a backseat. We want to be more independent, locally, with the local support and local team to be able to deploy it. We want to ensure that the service is seamless.

What other advice do I have?

POCs are definitely the way to go because cyber-security is still in many cases new for many clients. Cybersecurity is a very wide arena in today's day and age. There is no one single solution, every day someone else is innovating some specialization in some form or another. Clients would like to see a proof of concept before they go on a large full-scale deployment.

In the next release, I would like to have the possibility of being able to offer cyber-insurance with this because this is something that I think is completely unavailable at the moment here. This would add a whole new dimension.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

More Fortinet FortiGate-VM reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate-VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.