Fortinet FortiMail Review

Scalable, great for spam outbreaks, and offers great technical support

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for identifying spam, viruses, zero-day spamming, and any other kind of spam issues our organization might face.

What is most valuable?

We have several of these solutions in place. We do have, as of late, spam outbreaks. This solution has been pretty reliable in dealing with them.

The solution can scale.

The solution is mostly stable.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes it takes a little bit too long to determine if an email is good or not. If they could shorten that time span, it'd be so much better. It does delay our email, which does not make users happy. That said, I would have to say we have not been blacklisted for quite a while now.

Sometimes there are false positives.

When spam goes into system quarantine, it would be ideal if there was a safe way to let the users review the email in question and release it themselves, as opposed to having to wait on an administrator, to search for it and release it. It could be done securely. I understand why the system quarantines. However, a lot of users have their financial documents or lawyer's documents get thrown into the system quarantine and they're waiting on them. They need them within the hour as they are often time-sensitive matters. Due to this, they have to contact me. They wait for a while because they don't know when it's going to come, however, eventually they have to contact me. It's a delay. People understandably get very impatient.

There are some emails that go through that should be given a login code - for example, like whenever you're signing up for Microsoft in the cloud and they have to send you a login code. These codes from well-known vendors get stuck in the spam outbreak. They get stuck in different places.

Whitelisting should be a little bit friendlier for the users. It was actually easier a few versions back. Once you logged into your Fortimail account, you could whitelist very easily. Now, you have to kind of navigate through the email to do it. We cannot turn on the auto whitelist feature on because then there are users that will download anything without thinking, so we never use the auto whitelist feature. That's why it's so important to make whitelisting individually an easy task.

I've used the solution within the last 12 months.

The stability of the solution is mainly good. We do occasionally get false positives, however, it's rare.

It is very scalable and it does work well for what it's doing.

We've been satisfied with the technical support. They always are able to help us with upgrades and implementations. We find them to be quite knowledgeable.

For us, the setup is pretty straightforward. However, it's that way due to the fact that we use technical support to assist us. If we were to do it on our own, it may be difficult to implement. It's not something that I could just pull up and do on my own. I don't feel like I could. The knowledge of the engineers is very beneficial.

In our use case scenario, we do have support to help us set it up. In all the scenarios, even when I migrate to another upgrade or to a different box, even though we've had this for several years, we always use support.

We did evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten. If it weren't for issues surrounding quarantining emails, I'd rate it higher.

More Fortinet FortiMail reviews from users