Fortinet FortiMail Review

Secure with a very clean user interface and sandbox feature

What is our primary use case?

The solution provides security for our mail system. We're a group of companies, mainly dealing with car importation and distribution, and I'm the CIO.

What is most valuable?

This solution has a very clean user interface. It's agnostic to whatever environment you're using behind it. My email servers are HCL Domino servers now and it's easy to implement - they have very good sandbox for checking email without the danger of opening them.

What needs improvement?

I think their statistics and the BI in general could be improved. By that I mean the feedback the admin can take from the reporting. We're in the process of moving to Microsoft 365. We have discussed employing the Fortinet cloud solution with them, because right now we're using the on-premise solution. I don't know how it's going to play out in the cloud version.

I've been using this solution for five years.

It does the job that it needs to do, it's quite stable.

I haven't checked the scalability, because we have bought the larger version, which is the 32 VMs. I think it's pretty scalable. We have around 400 users, basically everybody in the company and we use it as a gateway. It gets all the email and takes it from our mail servers. We have two people in the company maintaining the solution and two others monitoring things.

We have a contract with a partner for technical support, not Fortinet Greece. We used to use Fortinet Greece, but they're mainly sales engineers so we took on a partner. We're satisfied with them.

We used another solution several years back. The trigger to move to Fortinet was a virus, a ransomware and that's when we switched to Forti products. We're happy with things.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward, it was easy to implement.

We're using two products, the FortiSandbox, which is actually the sandbox environment of FortiMail and FortiMail. We're paying about 9,000 Euros per year for those two products. It is pretty cost-effective for Greece. Fortinet is very aggressive with their pricing.

The other options we looked at were Check Point perhaps or Barracuda. Either they didn't have the sandbox solution or it wasn't as centralized as we wanted and they were more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to know what you're aiming for beforehand and what your environment needs in terms of implementation. It requires being very explicit so you can know what to set up with it. Things such as rules and domains that you can work with. You have to know your environment well.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

More Fortinet FortiMail reviews from users