Fortinet FortiMail Review

Actively works to ensure reliable delivery and containment of threats and spam

What is our primary use case?

I'm not working on the local FortiMail installation and really concentrate on servicing and deploying FortiMail to clients. The primary uses depending on the client are anti-spam and anti-fishing as well as threat isolation.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved our organization by giving us another opportunity to sell a top product to our clients that will do what it was designed to do.

What is most valuable?

Personally, I believe that FortiMail is a very good antispam solution. Clients use this solution as well for anti-spam and anti-phishing.

What needs improvement?

I believe the product needs better integration with FortiSandbox and integration with third-party Sandbox solutions.

What clients would like, I think, is more features on the appliances. Processing power is very important and this is dependent on abilities to upgrade the appliance.

I have been working with the solution for at least almost three, four years.

The clients seem to always like the stability of the product. They always like the way it functions, the support knowledge we provide when necessary and that they really have to do nothing to keep the product functioning.

The product is definitely a scalable solution. For example, we have a customer — a very technical customer who recently expanded operations — and we managed to expand the solution to fit their new needs on request.

It is a very good solution compared to the competition due to the capacity of the appliance and the number or volume of emails it can handle. It is almost independent of the number of users. That's why it has a very good competitive advantage.

We have a good support team to contact at Fortinet if we need them. They are available and reliable.

I believe that the complexity of the initial setup depends on the customer's environment and their need. This can increase or decrease the complexity of deployment. Generally, it takes between 10 to 20 working days to fully deploy. And then we require only occasional support for maintenance, again depending on the case.

We are Fortinet partners and act as consultants while also doing installations and maintenance.

According to clients, there is a return on investment in the cost of ownership and value. That is it ends up costing most clients less than other solutions while providing as much in features and services or more.

There are subscription fees but I don't think there is an additional cost. The pricing is not my area of expertise, but clients seem to suggest the license cost is competitive. It depends on capacity and not the number of users.

My title at our company is Presale Security Solutions Manager for service security. I service presale and consulting for FortiGate and other mail gateway solutions. Fortinet is one of our top products in this sector. I'm often selling different Fortinet solutions like FortiGate, FortiMail, and FortiSandbox as well. Sometimes we will consider other products but this is our main line.

What other advice do I have?

With the Fortinet FortiMail solution, you have a lot of advantages because of the effectiveness of security. You also see a return on investment in the cost of ownership and value. The licensing value — as I hear from clients — is very good, and the capacity of FortiMail is very scalable. You can have a large number of users and pay according to the capacity, not on the number of users so you pay for actual use.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and 10 is the best, I give FortiMail an eight out of ten.