Fortinet FortiMail Review

The reporting and various tools that protect our mail domain are very valuable

What is our primary use case?

We have implemented this solution in our VMware environment to host our own mail domain. So when the mails come in, we use the security profile and all the features of the FortiMail very efficiently - all the blacklists, safe lists, block lists, and other securities that are there to change and contain. We use spamming and content filtering and attachment filtering.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution provides different tools and reporting so now one can prevent malicious spam coming through. You can put that on the blacklist, white list or accordingly. Based on the IP repetition score, there are so many things the developers have improved which weren't available in the earlier versions. there. Now the filtering is really effective to protect any mail environment of any company.

What is most valuable?

I think the spamming feature is very valuable. One of the features of FortiMail is the sandbox. If any suspicious or malicious thing is detected, it uploads to the FortiMail, and then to the database, and then it's checked. Once it's confirmed that the mail is good content, then it's moved inside and forwarded to its destination. So the sandboxing is a really valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

FortiMail is currently available in the appliance mode so I believe the technology can be improved a little. There are a lot of viruses and malicious things out there that can damage your environment. So I think they need to be analytical in their quiet mode implementation so that these things get updated constantly. If anything new is in the market, it should be blocked by the FortiMail immediately.

We've been using Fortinet FortiMail for a year now.

It is a very stable solution. We rarely get any complaint from the users getting spam. Even my own finance head and managing directors are satisfied.

I will not give good marks on their support team. The support is not good at all. If you call in with an emergency thing, they will send you some PDF to read rather than sending it to their technical team. We therefore use our own expertise team who then uses Google to search for a solution. Online support sometimes takes up to a week to get back to you.

We used Trend Micro Gateway and another McAfee gateway, but Fortinet is a good product. We were using McAfee, the email gateway security filtering, anti-spam filtering.

What other advice do I have?

The filtering is really effective to protect any mail environment of any company. I can definitely recommend this solution and my rating is a nine out of ten.

More Fortinet FortiMail reviews from users