Fortinet FortiManager Review

Good central management capability that simplifies work and saves us time

What is our primary use case?

FortiManager is used for centrally managing many FortiGate firewalls. It is a very good solution if you are using several of them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the central configuration for firewall policies. This simplifies the management of many devices and acts as a central firewall policy object. It is sometimes used to deploy a VPN, where that is used to connect many FortiGate instances.

You don't need to log in to the devices many times. Instead, you can locally manage and copy the configuration to several of them.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet develops many different solutions but only some of them can be managed using FortiManager. For example, if you have a load balancer then you have to have a separate manager. Having FortiManager work with all of the Fortinet products would be a good improvement.

Some older versions of FortiManager, perhaps three or four years ago, had some issues with instability due to bugs. However, now, it is a very stable product.

It is easy to scale, although it can be costly. There is a limit to the number of devices that it can support, but additional FortiManagers can be used in this case.

I have been in contact with the Fortinet technical support several times, and the support is good. The people are nice and they will also help you online.

Until you have experience with it, this device is not simple to set up. You have to spend perhaps five to seven days to configure it properly, including the automation of certain tasks.

If you have a single person for the implementation, it will take approximately two weeks to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I find that this is a good solution and it gives me everything that I want. I would recommend it and people should definitely try it.

More Fortinet FortiManager reviews from users