Fortinet FortiOS Review

A user-friendly interface for both IPS and the integrated anti-virus

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller, and I deployed the public cloud version of this solution for a client on Microsoft Azure.

How has it helped my organization?

Due to instability of internet here in East Africa ,it will be great if the updates for FortOS could be small and so much size that could utilise more bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the intrusion prevention system and the anti-virus.

The interface is more user-friendly than other products, but moving between the VPN and anti-virus features is not as easy for people who are inexperienced with the solution.

What needs improvement?

The internet service is not as reliable in East Africa as in other parts of the world, and as such, the bandwidth that is required for updating the Fortinet OS should be reduced. I would like to see smaller and more frequent updates.

Two years.

So far, the solution has been stable. I have not had any complaints from the customer.

The scalability is one of the great features of this solution.

We did not have to contact technical support.

I have had experience working with Check Point UTM. These products have the same features. However, the user interface and support for Fortinet are superior to Check Point.

The initial setup of this solution was straightforward. The deployment took at most three hours. When the deployment was complete, the only job that was left was for the system administrator on the client's side.

According to our customer, they have not experienced any difficulties.

We handled the deployment of this solution for our customer.

Three people are enough for deployment, with one configuring the network and two working on the systems.

It is easy to show a return on investment with this solution because it is easy to scale.

What other advice do I have?

The only advice I have for anybody who is implementing this solution to make sure that they have a proper internet connection with good bandwidth.

Overall, the Fortinet OS is great.