Fortinet FortiOS Review

Excellent integration with an open API and a very easy to use interface

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for banks, whereby they want to secure their edge network, to filter their web application and block forms, etc. We also are able to integrate AWS using secure channels. It's more robust and they have different modes including nap, flow, and proximity.

What is most valuable?

You can apply patterns to look for. That can be done for applications also. You can ask for a specific feature to become a pattern.  If you were using Office 360 and had 2 ISPs, automatically using SD-WAN will allow you to switch over to the other link based on the criteria you can set yourself. You don't need to go to the device to manually sort and link it, it does it automatically.

Users can go directly to the cloud from the branch instead of routing to the head office and then the cloud. That will reduce the cost of routing, so you just pay for internet service and you have access to the cloud.

The interface is easy to understand, so when there are threats you get alerts. It's quite intuitive, but if you are ever confused they have instructional videos. For example, if you don't understand a graph there's a link to a video that explains what the graph means. It makes it very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The solution is good, but they have poor marketing in Nigeria. They need to market their product better.

They need to work on their support. Cisco has the best technical support. In comparison, Fortinet's support takes too long. If you are paying for SLAs, you should also get value from your SLAs.

Right now, everybody is moving to the cloud. The solution has already worked on that aspect, and they are embedding security to the cloud. However, security can be more enhanced and as long as they continue to offer more protection I'll be happy.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very scalable. It allows for API integrations so you can actually integrate into other security solutions.

Technical support could be more qualified and offer a quicker turnaround.

The initial setup is very straightforward, especially if that person understands security.

We integrate solutions on the client's request. Most times I push on Fortinet, as it's a robust system.

You can integrate your endpoint with Fortinet. You can integrate the cloud on-premises. Because the solution is so robust and offers excellent the features we tend to enjoy using FortiOS. Cisco is similar, however, and we do work with them too.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

We are an integrator, so we do integrations using Fortinet, Cisco, Sophos, and Palo Alto.

If you're an SMB or a small enterprise, I would recommend Fortinet.

I would advise users to make sure they are getting value for what they are paying for. I can say that Fortinet is not as expensive as the others, but it also gives good value. The main thing is not about the cost, but the value and Fortinet delivers on that front.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.