Fortinet FortiSandbox Review

It can emulate several operating systems and is stable and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for incoming mail from all our domains because we have several of them. We are servicing many companies as the holding company. Every mail is passed to the Sandbox virtual machine. It is a VM. Occasionally, a link or a standalone file that we want to check is also passed to the Sandbox virtual machine.

What is most valuable?

The scanner office document as well as PDF are useful. The most valuable thing is that you can emulate different operating systems without having the danger of getting something infected. It emulates several operating systems, and as a result, you either get the file or you don't get the file.

What needs improvement?

I don't know if it is viable to do an improvement like this. When there are passwords in the password-protected files, it can't scan them or do things like this. I don't know if an algorithm or something else could make it better. Nowadays, many legitimate office documents have passwords.

I have been using Fortinet FortiSandbox for about five to six years.

It is very stable. The only thing is that you have to manually check for some extensions. You have to do that mainly for the office documents because they change their extension. You have to manually add the new extension, but it is not a big problem.

They are very responsive. At first, I had interacted with only the Greece branch of Fortinet, which has only pre-sales engineers, not the support engineers, and they were very helpful. For the last two and a half years, we have a contract with a dedicated team for support. They're getting bigger, better, and greater.

It is very simple. You just specify the operating system that you want to emulate as well as the office version. It is pretty straightforward in terms of the procedure. It is easy to use and has a very useful interface.

Altogether, it is about €10,000 for the Sandbox and Email Gateway.

What other advice do I have?

I have used it within the Fortinet ecosystem. The whole Fortinet ecosystem collaborates very well. It is a standalone product as well, but I haven't tested it as a standalone product. If I had a choice, I would opt for the cloud version. I currently have the on-premises version.

I would rate Fortinet FortiSandbox a nine out of ten.

3.2
More Fortinet FortiSandbox reviews from users
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiClient
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiSandbox. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.