Fortinet FortiSandbox Review

Provides very good security and is easily adaptable to customer requirements

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for FortiSandbox is to provide a good environment, a test environment for us to analyze any new threat in the market. Fortinet Cloud uses its technology to analyze those threats for us and we use the analysis engine.

Our company is a service provider of Fortinet products, providing solutions based on the company's products. This can be anything from a UTM (Urchin Tracking Module) to a cloud solution depending on the requirements of the customer. It's not one specific model of the product that we have, rather we offer products based on the solutions required by the customer. We are resellers.

There are easily more than 1,000 or 2,000 people that would be using this product through our company because we get organizations where there are maybe 500 to 600 users and others with around 1,000. So I would have to say more than 2,000.

What is most valuable?

The analysis engine is a very valuable feature. It's quite up-to-date. However, I have not been able to compare it with another manufacturer's product so I'm not really sure whether it is the best. But we just use information that we get from Ratna, and the popularity of Fortinet itself.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure whether anything needs improvement because I feel we need to have more experience with it. Perhaps if there were issues where customers complained, that's when I would be able to comment on what could be improved. So far, I haven't come across any specific features that need improving.

I'm content with the features of the product. If they plan to provide a feature that would make it easier for the customer to configure themselves, that would be appropriate. And possibly a user interface. As a service provider, the functionality is quite satisfactory.

We've been using FortiSandbox for about a year

I have confidence in the stability of the product. We've realized that quite a number of our customers really want Fortinet products. They might not understand all the FortiSandbox features until we show them how it all works but most customers look at the brand name and where it stands in the market.

The scalability is very good, it's easily expandable and I like that there is a uniform operating system, FortiOS, in all their products. Whenever you interact with either FortiSandbox or any other feature, the interface is the same.

We have great support from Fortinet. We have our own research partner who can assist us with configuration and getting to know the product. They're easily available to inform us about new features, new rollouts, and the new operating system in the FortiOS.

The setup of Fortinet is quite straightforward. If you're going to use their products, then you really need to know what to do technically. However, there's no great learning curve in the concept of setting it up, or at least not for anyone who's interested in applying themselves.

Most of our clients will opt for us to manage the setup for them because the security is fairly new. Most of our customers feel it is better to outsource the management of security services for their hardware so they can focus on the business. We have our own team of security experts that are fully trained in Fortinet. It's easier for them to carry out the setup for the customers.

The relationship between the customer and our company is by SNA (social network analysis), so there are fewer configuration errors and instances where the configuration hasn't been carried out correctly and the product is still not working well for the customer, so most companies prefer us to do it for them.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that for customers looking for a security solution, FortiSandbox is a good option. It's available on different platforms, both on and off-premises. It's easier for the customer to plug in any other security solution they may need to cover security issues depending on their environment. It's very easy to plug-in additional new features as opposed to most other security products where you have to find compatibility with other elements of the customer environment. And those options are usually challenging and expensive.

I would rate this product eight out of 10.