Fortinet FortiSIEM Review

The performance is very good, and it is extremely scalable

What is our primary use case?

We run a Manage Security Services company and we use it in-house and for some of our clients. The service is a multitenant platform where our clients can log on to view and access various security-related activities and features. In more ways, it becomes like a cloud solution to them. We make use of a secure connection from the clients’ networks using collectors located on their premises back to our centralized SIEM platform.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the differentiator, which has a combination of not only the SOC which covers the security operations aspect, but it also includes NOC capabilities. FortiSIEM uses PAM (Performance, Availability, and Monitoring) from an NOC perspective. So not only do you natively look at security data as most SIEM solutions, but you're also looking at the performance and the availability component of those devices. It's easy for us to coordinate if a security incident occurs. You're not only looking at security logs but you also looking at what could potentially have happened in terms of device performance. So that feature to me already makes it quite a big differentiator in the market, compared to other SIEM tools out there.

What needs improvement?

When they started out after acquiring AccelOps, the user interface wasn't that great. But from version 5.0 they have obviously radically changed the interface, aligning it to the rest of the Forti products from a user experience point of view. This means that there is constant improvement on the interface side of the solution. The other thing that I've noticed is when searching for very old incidents, there is a slight delay. It obviously has to pull that information from the backend database, and the key point to note is that it depends on how you set it up in the backend where factors such as disk types and disk array configs come into play.

I have been using this solution for 18 months now.

The solution is quite solid and stable.

The scalability component is easy. To add workers and even collectors is easy which is how we've deployed it, makes scalability much easier. We plan to grow our users into the thousands.

I never really used support from Fortinet for the FortiSIEM solution that frequent because I figured most of the stuff out on my own, but that being said, the Fortinet Support is great because I figured most of the stuff out on my own.

The initial setup was quite complex. We've had some issues with the first OVF file that we downloaded. We had to customize the installation processes. It was a bit complex in the earlier versions, but the newer versions have greatly improved.

What other advice do I have?

We use an on-premises deployment model from our perspective and a hybrid model from a customer/user perspective.

I will recommend this solution to others out there looking for a SIEM solution. I've already done a few events we were talk about FortiSIEM and its advantages. I do, however, think the main dashboard where you create and design your graphs could do with some improvement improved. On a scale from 1 to 10, I will rate this solution an 8 to ensure there’s continuous improvement.

More Fortinet FortiSIEM reviews from users