Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center Review

Good analytics capabilities, but you need several certifications just to get started

What is our primary use case?

This is a solution that we use in our company and we also provide services to our clients.

The FortiSwitch is used to manage traffic between our VMs and physical hosts across multiple data centers. It is part of our network fabric and it can support the amount of throughput that we need to provide HA to service our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the port analytics. When you start getting into FortiManager and some of their analytics tools, that's the stuff I'm more interested in.

What needs improvement?

Before using FortiSwitch, you need several certifications.

The price could be improved.

I have been using this Fortinet solution for five years.

We have not had any issues with stability. It's fine.

The scalability is fine. Our clients range in size from small businesses to large entities.

I have been in contact with Fortinet technical support several times and they seem to be good. We have had no issues with them.

We have experience with similar products from Ubiquiti and the biggest difference between them is the price. It is a significant difference. I can get the same sort of information out of the Ubiquiti suite, but I have to do it differently.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Every product has a thousand features and we're probably using 10% of them. So, it's more about certifications and knowledge for understanding capabilities.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to spend some time to get to learn it. Once you do, using it is pretty straightforward.

I would recommend the FortiSwitch Data Center, for sure, although there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Fortinet FortiSwitch - Data Center reviews from users