Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access Review

Excellent for managing wireless users, network users and security status of all devices

What is our primary use case?

We have different use cases in different sectors including in education, banking, health care.  You can say it's suitable for all types of businesses like small and medium enterprise. We use this product inside security fabric solutions. We assign switches and then integrate it with FortiGate. We implement this solution for our clients. We are a partner of Fortinet and I'm the CEO of our company.

What is most valuable?

The security fabric is easy and the ability to manage FortiAP, FortiClient, and FortiGate all from a single console is great. Configuration and installation are quite simple. You can manage the wireless users, and the network users, the security status of all your devices including the laptops, and PC and mobile devices. I think this is one of the top features of Fortinet.

What needs improvement?

There are currently issues with some of the switches, problems with the firmware. I think they need to check the firmware, especially, with the new FortiGate firmware integration and they need to offer a strong switching feature like Cisco, especially in the VLAN management systems and integration.

I've been using this solution for almost three years.

This is a stable solution.

With my experience I think the scalability is pretty good for medium size businesses.

I think the technical support is quite good although we don't have much contact with them.

Initial setup is relatively simple and quite easy for any person who has good experience with Fortinet products. Deployment takes 10 - 15 minutes max and for small or medium projects it takes one or two people. Maintenance is usually carried out by one person.

The licensing costs are on an annual basis and cover warranty and support. There are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to run full integration with the secure network architecture from a single point, you can use Fortinet. It's suitable for small and medium size business. You can run all your products like the wireless access points, and switches, and FortiGate and firewall from the single vendor. It will give you the security fabric features to take you to a high level of reporting and management skill.

It's important to keep up with the technical news. They have released multiple versions of the firmware with new updates and it's important to follow the new version of firmware update for Fortinet. I think there are some features where Cisco is better than Fortinet. The decision to purchase one product over another depends on your needs, your budget, and your skill.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

More Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access reviews from users