Fortinet FortiToken Review

Mature, stable, and easy to use and deploy

What is most valuable?

Its ease of use is most valuable. It is simple to use and can be deployed out-of-the-box. It is quite a mature product with all the required features.

What needs improvement?

It needs a lot of coupling with their other Fortinet products. To implement FortiToken, I most probably need to couple it with FortiAuthenticator for full implementation. An RSA token can be used with many devices, whereas Fortinet FortiToken is always linked to only one FortiGate device. If I want to reuse the token across five or six FortiGates, I would have to get the FortiAuthenticator product. I can't use one token to connect to different FortiGates, and I need to get another product to enable this functionality.

They should also improve the support for their mobile client. There should be a more detailed roadmap for the operating systems being supported. Some of our users were using an old iOS iPhone, and they were forced to get a newer phone because FortiToken didn't support that version of iOS. Similarly, there may be a version of Android that is not supported, so the users need to change the phone. This was one of the reasons why our deployment took longer.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is stable.

It is not scalable because it is attached to one device.

Their technical support is quite good. The product itself is quite simple to use, and there have been very few times when I had to call the support. Basically, in the past three years, we didn't log any tickets for support.

We have used RSA tokens. Fortinet FortiToken is much easier to use than RSA tokens. In terms of our experience with day-to-day management, it is very good as compared to RSA.

It was quite straightforward. We deployed it for about 500 users, and it took about a month. The deployment is quite fast. You can just get it done within two weeks, but it took time in getting feedback on whether the phones and the OS versions that were being used by our users were supported. It took us longer to iron out all such issues and to get the phones that were supported with this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others, but they need to know what it is used for. Because this is a 2FA, where you implement it will actually matter. If you want to deploy it globally and you have many FortiGates, you would need additional products, such as FortiAuthenticator. If you're deploying it to only a single site and everybody is connecting to that site and using it as a 2FA, it is the right solution.

I would rate Fortinet FortiToken an eight out of ten.

More Fortinet FortiToken reviews from users
...who compared it with Duo Security
Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Cisco, Microsoft and others in Authentication Systems. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.